Sunday, April 24, 2011

Reflection

Assessing for Learning Reflection
            Throughout this course, I have been challenged, intrigued, enlightened, and thoroughly educated about the importance of differentiated instruction (DI) in the classroom.  The role of DI in the classroom is an integral part of the learning process and challenges teachers to educate and reach every diverse student in order to achieve a set of attainable goals (Laureate, 2009b).  This course has taught me to truly think outside of the box to reach all of the diverse learners in the classroom because as educators, we owe it to our students to provide the best possible learning environment.  Furthermore, I have learned that technology is a great asset to differentiated instruction.  Using technology is a great motivator for students to do or try something different.  It caters to a variety of learning styles in the classroom and utilizing technology is an excellent resource that needs to be part of the lesson planning process (Laureate, 2009b).  Because of this course, I now realize the significance and importance of integrating technology into the classroom and as a result, I feel that I have much work to do this summer to plan and integrate differentiated instruction in my classroom.
            First of all, I realize that immediate changes need to happen in my own classroom.  I am fortunate that the summer is right around the corner because I will use this time to figure out how differentiated instruction will work in my classroom.  One aspect I know that needs to change is truly knowing my students.  I realize that part of differentiated instruction is being able to identify student interests and learning styles as well as creating a learning environment that is inviting and accepting to all students.  This will definitely increase the productivity of the teacher/student relationship and also connect students with other students, which is vital to differentiated instruction (Laureate, 2009a).  Although I will not know until prior to the beginning of the fall semester which students are in my class, I can definitely use this time to create and edit student learning profiles and interest surveys.  Teachers need to accept student diversity in the classroom and see it as a positive.  We can structure the learning environment for finding appropriate learning zones for students, flexible grouping of students together based on interests, learning needs, or learning profiles, and finding different supports and varied methods of instruction that strengthens the relationship between teachers and students and students with other students (Laureate, 2009b).   
            Secondly, I need to find ways to offer a variety of choices of assessment that integrates technology.  This will engage students, motivate them, and challenge them to learn to their own ability while giving the freedom of choice to decide their own course of learning and education (Rose & Meyer, 2002).Teachers need to realize the changing dynamics and demographics of our classrooms and find new ways to reach all children from the gifted all the way to severe learning disabilities.  The use of technology is one way to bridge the gap and offer the needed challenge for gifted students while assisting low level learners that need another medium of information (Bray, Brown, & Green, 2004).  With all of the resources discussed and exchanged with my fellow colleagues during this course, I am extremely confident to provide my students with a variety of options in order for them to choose what the best fit is for them.
            Finally, I need to focus every portion of my curriculum to include some kind of technological component.  Differentiated instruction challenges students to find their interests, passions, and utilize them to figure out how they learn best.  Not only does this give students a chance to meet the needs of a variety of students, but DI also allows for greater accountability and responsibility for their own learning (Davidson, 2011).  I have come to the conclusion that education needs to be an opportunity for students to showcase what they have learned and what they know.  I realize that students are bright, and I need to give them more opportunities to engage in technology and the course content.  In fact, I need to let my students make their own choices about their education.  I will be there to guide them and offer choices for how to display their knowledge, but I want my students to want to learn.  Integrating technology with differentiated instruction is one way to accomplish this.  I realize the road is challenging, but I simply need to step aside and allow my students to make choices and learn on their own.
            In close, this course and this program has definitely revitalized my views on the education profession.  I believe that I have the tools and knowledge to implement differentiated instruction into my classroom along with combining the use of technology in order to facilitate learning in the classroom.  I realize that I need to accept the diversity in learning styles and abilities to find methods of instruction that reaches all of the needs of my students.  Technology is a great way to motivate students, keep things fresh in the classroom, and allow students to showcase their knowledge while utilizing their own talents, abilities, and interests.  This has been a long journey, and although I am sad to see it come to an end, I firmly believe that I will become a better educator because of it.
References:
Bray, M., Brown, A., & Green, T. (2004). Technology and the Diverse Learner: A Guide to           Classroom Practice. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
Davidson, L. (2011). What Parents Need to Know About Differentiated Instruction. Hub Pages.             Retrieved April 6, 2011, from     hubpages.com/hub/What_Parents_Need_to_Know_About_Differentiated_Instruction
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009a). Program 7: Introduction to          differentiated instruction. [DVD]. Reaching and engaging all learners through technology. Baltimore, MD.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009b). Program 8: What is differentiated           instruction?. [DVD]. Reaching and engaging all learners through technology. Baltimore,            MD.
Rose, D., & Meyer, A. (2002). Teaching every student in the digital age: Universal design for       learning. Retrieved from http://www.cast.org/teachingeverystudent/ideas/tes/

No comments:

Post a Comment